Beautystack recently updated our policy to align with industry standards. This means that we now need to see proof of your public liability insurance as well as proof of a special treatment license if applicable. 

Public liability insurance

Why do I need it?

As a professional you can be held liable for loss or damage to other people’s property, injury or other harm or financial loss alleged to have been caused during carrying out any treatment. As a reputable and professionals you should ensure that you are covered for every treatment that you provide.

What is covered under public liability insurance?

  • Public  liability insurance covers the cost of legal action and compensation claims against: 

  • You or your business 

  • Loss or damage to other peoples property 

  • Injury or other harm 

  • Financial loss alleged to have been caused

Where can I get it?

You can purchase public liability insurance from any respected insurance provider but we recommend the following for their experience with professionals:

How much is it?

Most websites have an online quote calculator but on average, small business owners can expect to pay around £25-45 per year for Public Liability insurance.

Is product liability insurance the same as public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance covers compensation claims made against your business by a third party for injury or damage. Product liability insurance - which is often included in a public liability policy - covers compensation claims for injury or property damage that's been caused by a product you've sold.

I plan to use The Stack World outside of the UK, do I still need to have public liability insurance?

Yes. If you’re providing treatments to Clients you must have public liability insurance (aka general liability insurance in the US). 


  • If you’re using us in the US you will need to be licenced in the state you work in. 

  • If you’re using us in Europe and outside of the UK we will need to see proof of your qualifications.

Special treatments license

What is a special treatments license?

When you set up your business to work for yourself once qualified you need to have a special treatments licence from your local council or individual local authorities. This licence ensures that you are working to appropriate hygiene standards etc and can cost varying amounts of money! 

Who needs a special treatments licence?

Anyone wishing offer manicures, massage and other treatments at premises within their borough needs to hold a licence. Special treatments licences differ from borough to borough but typically refer to professionals offering the following treatments:

  • Tattooing - Semi-permanent make up / micro-pigmentation

  • Artificial Nails, Manicure and Pedicure

  • Massage

  • Spray Tanning

  • Laser treatments

  • Sauna

  • Floatation Tank

  • Acupuncture

  • Body piercing (including ears, nose etc.)

  • Ultra Violet Tanning Equipment including sunbeds

  • Electrolysis

  • Light and vapour treatments

How do I get it?

If you do not have a special treatments license and you need one visit your local boroughs website or give them a call!

I’m a member of a professional beauty association, do I still need a special treatments license?

Most local authorities will accept proof of membership with a professional beauty association in place of a special treatments license. However, this can differ from borough to borough so it’s important to check this before you sign up! 

Beauty associations in the UK

British Association of Beauty Therapy & Cosmetology (BABTAC)

Ambrose HouseMeteor Court, Barnett WayBarnwood, Glocester GL4 3GGUnited KingdomPhone: 0845.250.7277

National Association of Screen Make-up Artists and Hairdressers (NASMAH)

68 Sarsfield RoadPerivale, Middlesex UB6 7AGUnited Kingdom

Complementary Health Professionals (CHP)

Kemp House, 152 City Road, London, EC1V2NX United Kingdom

Beauty associations in the US

Professional beauty association (PBA)

Address: 7755 E Gray Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

U.S. National & International Intercoiffure America/Canada

Phone: 713.984.8800

Fax: 713.935.4409

Aesthetics International Association (AIA)

310 E. Interstate 30, Suite B107 Garland, TX 75043 USA

Phone: 877.968.7539

Allied Beauty Association (ABA)

145 Traders Boulevard East, Units 26 & 27 Mississauga, ON L4Z 3L3 Canada

Phone: 905.568.0158

Fax: 905.568.1581

American Association of Cosmetology Schools (AACS)

Cosmetology Educators of America (ECA)

9927 E. Bell Rd., Suite 110 Scottsdale, AZ 85260 USA

Phone: 800.831.1086

Phone: 480.281.0431

Fax: 480.905.0993

American Board of Certified Haircolorists

P.O. Box 9090 San Pedro, CA 90734 USA

Phone: 310.547.0814

American Health & Beauty Aids Institute (AHBAI)

P.O. Box 19510 Chicago, IL 60619 USA

Phone: 708.633.6328

Fax: 708.633.6329

Associated Skin Care Professionals (ASCP)

25188 Genesee Trail Road, Suite 200 Golden, CO 80401 USA

Phone: 800.789.0411

Fax: 800.790.0299

Beauty associations in Australia

Association of Professional Aestheticians of Australia (APAA)

P.O. Box 96 Robina, QLD 4226 Australia

Phone: 07.5575.9364

Fax: 07.5575.9723

Did this answer your question?